Chicken Corn Chowder is courtesy of Good Housekeeping magazine.
PREP TIME:0 hours 15 mins
TOTAL TIME:1 hour 5 mins
4 large ears corn, shucked
2 1/2 lb. bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
4 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. half-and-half
3 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon leaves
This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.
- Cut corn kernels from cobs; set kernels aside. Scrape juices from cobs into 5- to 6-quart sauce pot; add cobs, along with chicken, 8 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to maintain gentle simmer. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked, turning chicken breasts occasionally. Remove pot from heat and let cool. Transfer chicken to large bowl. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard any bones; pull meat into bite-size pieces. Remove and discard cobs from poaching liquid; reserve liquid.
- Meanwhile, in 7- to 8-quart sauce pot, heat butter and oil on medium until butter has melted. Add celery, carrots, onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 10 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in reserved poaching liquid and corn kernels. Heat to boiling on high; boil 1 minute, stirring. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in half-and-half, tarragon, reserved chicken, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Avgolemono: An Easy Greek Twist on Chicken and Rice
Receipe courtesy of Delish
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 45 MINS
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. dried oreganoKosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. white rice
3 c. shredd chicken3 large egg yolks
Juice of 2 medium lemons
Freshly chopped dill, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add broth, thyme, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until rice is cooked through, 20 minutes. Add chicken to pot and bring back to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice. Slowly add ¼ cup of hot broth to eggs while whisking. Slowly whisk mixture back into the pot. Let simmer until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Serve soup with fresh dill and lemon wedges.
Posole: A Mexcian Faviorite
This has minimal prep time and simmers in a slow cooker.
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:6 HOURS 40 MINS
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 poblano peppers, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. oregano
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. kosher saltFreshly ground black pepper
2 (15-oz) cans hominy, drained and rinsed Thinly sliced radishes, for garnish
Sliced green cabbage, for garnish
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Place all ingredients except hominy and garnishes into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Take chicken out of slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker along with the hominy and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve soup into bowls and garnish with radish, cabbage and cilantro.